Emergency Funds and Insurance

Students who have unexpected financial needs may contact resources below to determine whether they qualify for assistance.  The student may be required to complete an application for the funds, provide receipts for expenses, have a non-family member contact who can verify the need, or meet certain criteria. Insurance can cover many costs, so be sure to contact your plan agent to understand what benefits you may already have in place.

Emergency Funds

The following resources may be helpful for students who are searching for funding to defray costs related to medical care.

The University Health Services Special Needs Fund

This resource is funded by the Auxiliary to the Isabella McCosh Infirmary; contact Anne-Marie Feury at UHS. The Special Needs Fund can assist eligible graduate and undergraduate students with up to $300 towards their health expenses each academic year they are enrolled at the University.  Financial need of students requesting funding is ascertained through the Financial Aid Office.

The Dean’s Emergency Fund

This fund is administered by The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students. Undergraduate students lacking financial means to meet critical needs such as emergency medical or mental health care may request funding from the Dean’s Emergency Fund by contacting Associate Dean Mellisa Thompson. This fund is restricted to emergencies and is not designed to be used for expenses incurred by routine medical or weekly mental health office visits.

Medical Expense Reimbursement Program

Special funds exist to assist enrolled graduate students with unreimbursed medical expenses that create a financial hardship for them. Medical expense assistance takes the form of a grant to reimburse expenses not covered by insurance; therefore, you must first submit insurance forms and determine your out-of-pocket expenses before you can apply for reimbursement through these funds. Contact Dean Lisa Schreyer.

Mental Health Loan

Graduate or undergraduate students may apply for a loan for mental health expenses not covered by insurance of up to $1,250 per semester to cover off-campus psychological services, which includes coverage of a plan deductible up to $200. The loan program may be used for excess balances after payment by your health plan, or for continuation of counseling after the maximum benefits have been reached on your health plan. The loan will draw no interest until you leave the University. For further information regarding this program, contact Anne-Marie Feury.

Financial Aid Office (undergraduate students)

Although most financial aid awards do not change during the year, your aid may be adjusted if there are changes in your family’s financial situation or your student budget. The most common reason for revisions due to family changes are financial problems such as loss of a job/ income or emergency expenses. For further information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Short-Term Contingency Loan Program

Short-term contingency loans are designed to help graduate students in coping with unexpected financial emergencies. These loans have a $1,000 limit and are repayable through deduction from stipend checks or federal loan disbursements. Contact Dean Lisa Schreyer for more information.

Aryeh Stein-Azen Memorial Fund

Undergraduate and graduate students who have complex or chronic health conditions or disabilities that require prolonged treatment likely to impede academic progress or significantly limit student life at Princeton may be eligible for funding.  To apply, please fill out and return this form. For further information, please contact the Office of Disability Services.


Students on the SHP should contact Aetna Student Health at 877-437-6511 about your claims or benefit inquiries.  They can assist you with questions about how your claim was processed and your coinsurance and deductible responsibilities.  Students may wish to visit the SHP Office with questions.  They are located in the McCosh Health Center, Garden Level, Room G24, with walk-in times - Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Students on a Family Insurance Plan should contact their insurance plan’s Member Services Department for information.